.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Your Online Prayer Chapel


Come pray with us -- in Jesus name -- God answers prayer

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. - James 5:16b

accept the love of Jesus

Our Ministry

The Rector's Biography

One Rector's Opinions

The efforts of the rector have been directed away from this blog,
posting will be infrequent.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Internal Conflict - Cognitive Dissonance

Trained expectations, absolutes, cultural mores, educational indoctrination, anecdotal evidence, lack of congruence.

Confused?

So am I.

I pray and seek the Lord on an action, than do as I am lead; that should be the end of the matter.

Instead I am disquieted as the action is at odds with training and perception that have been culturally fixed since birth. I know it was the right thing to do, and it was done the right way at the right time. What raises the internal confusion is that I feel I
should be doing what I have always been told I should do.

You think that is confusing listen to Paul: "For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do."

So I have my sinful nature in charge sometimes. I have my indoctrination into my society in charge sometimes. What I truly want in charge of my life is God's will. When I succeed in following the Holy Spirit; my nature and my education rebel against it. I am at war within myself.

I am working through this, and probably always will be.

My first step has been to realize that as a child of the living God, Earth is not my home. - My country is Heaven. I am just a visiting ambassador here - it is the rule of Heaven that I want to control my life.

Notice this is my
choice.

We will serve someone -

  • our country
  • our boss
  • ourselves
  • all of the above and more

The choice is yours. You are a servant.

Enjoy it.

God - loves - you. God is smarter
and wiser than you are. If you want the best for yourself and everyone, serve God.

The next thing to realize is that much of what I "know" is wrong.

Shakespeare: "He is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature"

Today the barbarians exist in the political blogs, and in many religious writings also. Those that believe everything they heard at home, were taught at school; everything they have shouted as fact ever since. They ever wait to inject digested opinion into conversation as if it were a proof. They never read or listen to anyone contrary to their opinion; except to criticize based on their opinion and to have an opportunity to shout back. They believe the pronouncements of their party or church are the laws of nature.

The pronouncements of God are the laws of nature.

I am sometimes that barbarian. Years of public school have taught me a great deal about how to be good for those that control the public. Be polite, raise your hand, sit still, be obedient to those in charge, etc. Over half a Century of life in mostly one country has taught me to view the world the way those of my tribe and island view the world.

I read the Bible and find a different view. I read the Bible and find a freedom of choice not offered by my education - but it is hard to stop being a barbarian.

The point of this is that we, as intelligent, God loving and God loved people, must set aside our earthly training. There will be emotional discomfort at realigning our lives with God in control.

Our professions, our families, our countries, our "social class," our emotional ballast must all be relegated to a minor role.

That is if we seek to serve God.

As we serve God we can count on him leading us to do what is best for our families, our professions, the Earth. God loves us. God is smarter and wiser than we are.

Seek God.

Seek God's Will.

Do God's will.

Become a bit less the barbarian.


.