.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Your Online Prayer Chapel


Come pray with us -- in Jesus name -- God answers prayer

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. - James 5:16b

accept the love of Jesus

Our Ministry

The Rector's Biography

One Rector's Opinions

The efforts of the rector have been directed away from this blog,
posting will be infrequent.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Awareness

.

It happened during a walk along the back bay. I was admiring the view, and in the back of my mind was an awareness that there were frequently lizards sunning in that patch of sunlight in front of me. Sure enough, as I approached I was looking right where a lizard sat watching me.

What does this have to do with your walk with Jesus?

I probably saw the lizard when I first thought about it, or perhaps a bit of motion from where he lay. Our senses are like that, we see hundreds of things with every glance in a new direction, but we notice at most a few of them. Our subconscious sorts all those impressions by what we have found important and paid attention to in the past, and lets through a filtered image. A reflection of ourselves hides the view through the window.

All of our lives are like that, if you spend your time complaining about your job or spouse, you will find more to complain about. If you spend time in prayer, expecting God to answer, you will start too see where he answers, when he does it. If you spend time reading God's word, the Bible, you will recognize God's voice when he speaks.

This is not an overnight process. I looked where I expected to see a lizard and saw none. I got closer and saw him, he had been there but my subconscious knew the waves and the view were more important to me. When I approached the lizard was "suddenly there" enjoying the sun. This was the threshold where I normally watched the lizard watch me, and start to react. Next time, unless I go looking for lizards, I will probably notice him sooner. After this message lizards will seem more of a priority to my subconscious.

Everyone sees what is important to them and ignores that which is contrary or unsupportive to their view.

Look around the room you are in, there are hundreds of items there. Not just chairs and a computer, but perhaps a spot on the wall, a tilt to a picture, a plate of cookies (how many?). What we notice is limited by our trained perceptions. A cleanie will notice every spot, I will overlook most of them. I may notice a hawk in the distance instantly and miss a pretty rock next to me.

To know the fullness of joy God has for you, you need to see and feel him work. God's love is surrounding you right now, enter in, stay a while.

Spend time in God's word.

Spend Time talking with God.

consciously enter into a life where Christ is central.


An hour each Sunday and Wednesday is not enough. You want to notice Jesus in your life, he is there for you all the time.


Spend your time with him, give him the importance he deserves. Your life will be fuller, and more joyful for that awareness.



Then one of them, a lawyer, asked tempting him and saying "Master which is the great commandment in the law?" Jesus said unto him "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:35-40 ( KJV), see also Luke 10: 25-37



Jesus is Lord!

.